One of the things I took with me from England is the unconditional love for black tea with milk, blueberry porridge and carrot cake! Carrot cake is very popular in England and quiet rightly, because it is an all-rounder. It fits every season and tastes great on every occasion. So far, I have not experienced anyone who would refuse a carrot cake. That’s why I created these wonderful and delicious carrot-cake-donuts.
I have adapted this recipe for our sensitive bellies, but of course without sacrificing the taste, because after all, our bellies deserve the best. The carrot-cake-donuts taste warm from the oven, but also served cold with frosting. Personally I prefer the frosting, as I found the combination of sweet-tasting carrots and coconut very convincing.
What makes the recipe so healthy? The carrots and buckwheat flour increase the fiber content, which is important for our intestinal health and in particular our intestinal activity. The carrots also provide vitamins and enhance the carrot cake donuts with other valuable nutrients. Because the donuts are baked, they are not as fatty as donuts from the supermarket or bakery.
Enjoy and share!
Preparation time in min: 30
Calories per serving: 215
Ingredients (for 6 donuts):
200 g buckwheat flour
150 g finely-grated carrots
150 g coconut yoghurt
80 ml coconut milk
50 g honey / 70 g rice syrup
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp ground/finely-grated ginger
1/3 tsp turmeric
1/3 tsp lemon zest
- optional: raisins
2. Wash, peel and finely grate the carrot.
3. Preheat the oven to 200°C top / bottom heat.
4. In a bowl mix all dry ingredients thoroughly. Then add the rest of the ingredients (except yoghurt) and use an electric hand mixer to make a smooth dough. Let the dough rest for about 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Grease the donut tray with some vegetable oil, pour in the dough and bake for about 15 minutes.
6. Serve with coconut yoghurt, honey / rice syrup, nuts and / or raisins as preferred.
I am a nutritionist and since few years I am specialized in the field of “intestinal health”. Enjoy browsing here!